Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Who has a soul? us or our pets?

I remember back when i was in elementary school.  I had a dog. nothing special, just a mutt, but man how i loved that dog.  He would wait every morning with me for the school bus, and somehow always knew when the bus was coming in the evenings after school, and was always waiting on me to get off the bus.  We would play, run, when i rode my bike down to the gulf, there he was running beside me.  One evening the dog had done something bad.  though i cannot remember exactly what it was, it wasn't real bad, like maybe getting into garbage, or digging in the garden.      My daddy shot the dog........ and he ran off.  i looked for him but couldn't find him.  The next morning when i went out to wait for the bus, there he was.  blood all over him.. in so much pain.  He somehow manage to make it to where his little master would soon be coming, to see him.  I saw all the blood, and i was too scared to touch him.  i loved him, but i was scared from all the blood, and all he could do was lay there and wimper.  the bus came, i got on and i left for school. I never saw him again. all he wanted was love from his master, and i was too afraid to give it.  He manage to make it to my bus stop, live through the night, and i couldn't even touch him.  I'm a kinda borderline old man now, and so much has gone under this old bridge.  But even now i am saddened thinking of my dog....... and the question.  Who has the soul.. us or our pets?

2 comments:

  1. What a sad story! As children we rarely understand these things and there are plenty of decisions that I kick myself for now. The definitely have souls.

    The Tuckerbag

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok now that i have this. Ash i agree. it is amazing we survive childhood at all. all the problems, questions, and just things we cannot understand.... perhaps in the next life, i will finally get to make it up to him!

    ReplyDelete